Friday, August 16, 2013

"Mt. Baker from Anacortes" plein air , oil , landscape painting by Robin Weiss

Mt. Baker from Anacortes   8x8 oil on panel        Sold
Living in Kitsap county in the Pacific Northwest means that your travel off the peninsula is bound by the ferry schedule. To get to the paintout in the San Juan Islands required taking two ferries , I chose to take the Kingston Ferry to Edmonds and then drive up to Anacortes taking another ferry to Orcas Island. Knowing that I would be in line way early for the 3:50 pm sailing, I decided to pre-funk the party and do a painting at the ferry landing in Anacortes.


Mt Baker , easel failure
 Everything was great! I had a beautiful view of Mt Baker and about two hours to do a painting...but....it was windy!  About three quarters of the way through the painting a gust of wind started to blow over my easel....
I reached out automatically and grabbed it causing a big splash of turpentine to wash over the wet work!  Sheesh! If it's not one thing it's another in this plein air business!....But ,

I'm not complaining!.. and I got over it quickly ..after all , I had four days of painting in the San Juan Islands to look forward too and it turned out to be an amazing and fun trip! This one got packed away to dry and I finished it up when I got home ....none the worse for wear....=]


Ferry to Orcas Island



 The adventure was now really under way, with a painting already under my belt.. We had gorgeous weather the whole time and the ferry ride itself is a treat worth the time!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a novice plein air painter, I'm so inspired by your art. Thank you for sharing your adventures and especially your talent.
Joanne Labato Stone

Ann said...

Wow, what a view...beautiful rendering of the light on the mountain! I love this!

Anonymous said...

Would you perhaps do a post on the brand of paints and the colors you use most often. I find your vibrant works amazing.

Sandy Byers said...

Robin, I really enjoy following your adventures! And, what a GREAT idea for waiting in the ferry line. I may steal that one :)

Lavon said...

gorgeous! But the first one looked like it had more clouds?