Friday, December 27, 2013

"Last Stand" Seattle City oil painting by Robin Weiss

"Last Stand" 18x14 oil on canvas    Sold
Everyone who lives in Seattle knows that the Alaskan Way Viaduct is slated for removal by late 2015 and a complete re-design of the Seattle waterfront by 2019. They are now in the process of drilling a deep-bore tunnel using a 57 foot bore drill made in Japan and shipped by freighter to the US! I have been painting the Viaduct from various perspectives in an effort to record the history for posterity. 

I started in my usual method by beginning with an under-painting to establish value and composition using a reddish toned thin wash that will peek through as I cover the canvas.

When I arrived at this stage of finish I was not happy with the texture of the paint. It was too thin and needed more build up. I went over the entire canvas with another layer of paint mostly applied by palette knife and achieved what I was aiming for.

2 comments:

robin peterson said...

Great instincts! The final piece has soul... a powerful image & icon of "old" Seattle. Inspiring, thanks!

Lavon said...

Robin, Thank you for sharing this. The final version really pops, but I also love the version before. The underpainting is cool.