Monday, January 04, 2010

"Call for Rest" oil urban landscape painting

I'm thinking of starting a new series of paintings based on resting places. My purpose would be to create a dialogue within the viewer about what it means to rest, either in a physical sense or a spiritual sense. I'm not going to narrow it down to much, just keep the idea in the back of my mind as I am composing paintings and see where the Spirit leads.

I see this homeless guy every time I pass a certain parking lot up by Pike Place in Seattle. This day he was napping against the phone booth in the corner of the lot. I wonder how deep is his rest......

6x6 oil on panel

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the loose brushwork on this very compassionate painting. Your concept of "resting places" is intriguing. It will be interesting to see where you go with it!

Patricia D Arndt said...

What a wonderful idea for a series, I also like the brushwork, just enough to give us a sense of place, but so much more for the face. I'll look forward to seeing more.

Vikki North said...

Love this...but I'd think twice about conversationalizing with him. LOL You may get more than your looking for.

Great work and great idea.
Vikki

Robin Weiss said...

Don, Thanks! It will be interesting to see where it takes me...

Robin Weiss said...

Welcome Patricia! I appreciate your comments!

Robin Weiss said...

Hi Vikki! I've been to your blog but there is SO much to do there I kinda got overwhelmed....I'll be back!!..=]...Thanks for stopping by!!

James Parker said...

Lots of contrast and drama here, Robin...I'd have to say this piece is ar"rest"ing.