Monday, April 09, 2018

"Phil's Motor Repair" plein air oil painting by Robin Weiss

"Phil's Motor Repair"  9x12 oil      Sold


The 5th Annual Plein Air Festival was my second time competing in the Lighthouse Art Center event. I wanted to paint in a location that I didn't get the chance to last time. My strategy (and you do need a plan in these events!) was to head to the farthest location and then work my way in closer to Jupiter as the week progressed. I never made it to Port Selerno last year so early Monday morning after stopping for coffee I headed north.


"Hobe Sound"  6x8 oil   $250



The day was beautiful and the morning clear and bright, couldn't help stopping on the way at a nature preserve called Hobe Sound to warm up with a small painting. After a short hike through the palmettos I arrived at this quiet and peaceful beach.

Port Selerno is a painters dream!  lots of boatyards, marinas and old stuff!  Just what I was looking for.  I found a spot out at the end of a dock where I had two good views to paint.




"Port Selerno"  10x12 oil  $700

I wasn't too happy with the first painting (left) and considered scraping it but in the end decided to wait till the morning. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses and start a new painting while you are still fresh and that worked out for me this time. I turned my easel and painted the scene at top, "Phil's Motor Repair",  Sold that same day in the gallery.  I touched up "Port Selerno" next day and improved it enough to keep as a good memory of a fantastic painting location in South Florida!....or sell if you like it..  =]  I am trying to make a living off my dream job..

Thanks for visiting in plein air!  =]





1 comment:

Lavon said...

wonderful piece. yes, a dream job!