Wednesday, July 25, 2018

"Port Townsend Marina" plein air , marinescape by Robin Weiss

"Port Townsend Marina"  9x12 oil on panel    $600


When I head out to paint without a plan of where to go I often find myself at the Port Townsend boatyard. Not only do they have the best working shipyard, there are also marinas stretched along the waterfront . These days mixed among the warehouses and boat-building workshops are a bunch of eclectic coffee houses and restaurants. A perfect place to find a scene to paint! 

Rendering a bunch of boats in a marina is tricky!  The more I do it, the more I understand the dichotomy of realistically depicting detail in complex scenes.....It is both the hardest and the easiest thing to do....I know, that's not much help ...but really, you have to simplify the detail going back in the distance to broken bits of color. Once you get the hang of it....you will find it's not as hard as you think to suggest  all of that detail with bits of broken color......Spend some extra time on just a few objects closer in to draw the viewer in....and remember to ,

Have fun out there!

No comments: