Friday, January 04, 2019

"Teton Pastureland" oil painting by Robin Weiss

"Teton Pastureland"  9x12 oil on panel  $600

I recently took a Mitch Baird workshop who I highly recommend as an instructor. The workshop focused primarily on value and color. He specifically did not talk much about drawing or composition since those disciplines are a given in producing a quality painting.  I loved this workshop! I filled a few pages of my sketchbook with notes that I will not go over here....You should take your own Mitch Baird workshop!... But one color tip that really helped me get the distant mountain granite color was mixing the right amounts of Viridian and Alizerin Crimson. They make a nice juicy grey!  He also drilled into us the right time to use the warm and cool primaries that should make up the foundation of your palette.

We worked from photos in this class because of the winter weather but I used a sketch done during my brief visit to Grand Teton National Park this summer. I wanted to see how I could do with just the sketch and no photo reference.

I have started  making my own sketchbooks from 90lb cover stock which I like for sketching in graphite but is also heavy enough for water media. Let me know if you would like one! I'll send you more info.
Thanks and happy sketching!!

No comments: