Friday, March 06, 2020

"Winter at the Point" Plein air painting by Robin Weiss

"Winter at the Point"  Point no Point Lighthouse, Hansville WA  10x20 oil on panel   Sold


It was great to get outside a few times this week and paint on location.  I have been inside working on studio paintings for upcoming shows the last few months and finally had a chance to get out on a beautiful sun drenched winter day.


set up
The Point no Point Lighthouse is a favorite location . It is only about 15 minuets from our house. I set up on the bird watching platform that has several good views but ended up painting the lighthouse again.  I love the warm greys of the grasses surrounding the scene with the pop of color in the structure. I pushed the color as usual but thought I achieved some authenticity in the work.

Wish I had taken a picture of the block in!  I used MGraham, Transparent Red Oxide for the under-painting. I love this rich, transparent color to begin a painting and work out compositional and value issues in the initial design.  I begin by toning the entire panel with thinned color and then wipe back the light areas with a paper towel. Using a "drawing brush" I make a simple line drawing of the subject and then start building up shapes. When I am happy with the composition I begin laying in color starting with the darkest areas first.




Contact robinweiss@earthlink.net if you are interested in in taking a workshop from me at this location sometime this summer. Hope you have fun out there!!

No comments: