Sunday, March 14, 2021

"Art Budd at the Poulsbohemian" original oil portrait by Robin Weiss

"Art Budd at the Poulsbohemian"
20x16 oil on linen Panel
360-779-3940

 

Recently I received a commission to do a portrait. Not what I am used to or what I feel very good at. Mostly I have procrastinated on studying and practicing the art of the portrait. I thought it would be good to warm up by working on some photos of friends I talk with in the mornings at the local coffee shop in Poulsbo called the Poulsbohemian.

Art is one of those buddies. He does some artwork too.  We usually talk about the books we are reading. Art volunteers at the library and we have traded books a bit.  I caught him in the sunlight on the patio and snapped this shot.

I used a grid program for this photo to help with proportions and then sketched it pretty quickly on the panel with a drawing brush. First I applied a thin, warm wash of color and let it set for awhile. I started with the darks first and then worked the whole canvas leaving a lot of the underpainting. Going back to the face I used more paint and finished with more detail drawing the eye to the center of attention.

I have since done a few more portraits of friends and family I will post in coming days. Hope all is well with you and your family!  Stay safe and stay creative!


2 comments:

mikeliberarealestate.info said...

Art Budd is a good friend of ours - say Hello to him from Mike Libera . . I like your work, as well. (JoLyn Wells-Moran told me about you) Thanks and keep up the good work!

Robin Weiss said...

I will Mike! Thanks for commenting!