Wednesday, March 24, 2021

"Paris Cafe" original oil painting by Robin Weiss

"Paris Cafe" 8x10 oil on panel   $500

 

This one has been circulating around for over a year now. It was one of those paintings that had to age a bit before I started to like it. Now I really like it.  Interestingly, I did not paint this in Paris even though we had recently returned from a month in France and Italy. I didn't even paint it from the hundreds of reference photos taken while we were there.

At the Plein Air Washington Artist group end of the year shindig in Edmonds they had several still life setups to paint and a couple model stations too. These two models pretended like they were sitting in a restaurant or café. While painting away I was somehow transported back to Paris and ended up with this scene of a late night jazz café in the City of Lights.  Surprised myself because the scene in front of me looked nothing like this. I'm not sure I could even paint her shimmering dress again If I tried...So glad my wife and I took that trip when we had the chance!  Hope you will some day too!  =]


No comments: