Thursday, December 09, 2021

"Fish Camp on Stavis Bay" original oil painting by Robin Weiss

"Fish Camp on Stavis Bay" 24x32 oil on canvas    $2200
available at the Roby King Gallery   206-842-2063

I originally started this painting on another canvas. I was working from a photo taken as Ann and I were headed out for a day hike to Guillemot Cove near Seabeck, WA.  If you have an interest in this work you can see it or inquire through the Roby King Gallery on Bainbridge Island.


I started in my usual underpainting color, Quinacridone Rust made by MGraham Paint Co. I liked how the design was coming along and posted it. I received quite a few good comments and got cold feet about going in with color...I didn't want to ruin it!  That happens to me sometimes but usually I soldier on and sometimes I do ruin the painting. This time I decided to save the monotone painting and start a new canvas. I really wasn't satisfied with the new painting. It needed something!  Noticing a light brush stroke in the distant land mass I turned it into a beach fire and called it a fish camp...That added interest but I still wasn't thrilled about it. I still have the first tonal painting and after time has gone on, now I think I can go in with color and finish it.

 That's how it goes sometimes.  =]

No comments: