Monday, November 21, 2022

"Snively Road" plein air landscape painting by Robin Weiss

"Snively Road"  10x12 oil on panel     $800

 

I had not painted much in the Tri Cities area when we headed to Richland for the Plein Air Washington Juried Plein event hosted by Gallery at the Park in May 2022.  Other members of PAWA  like Laura Gable who are locals suggested we drive down Snively Rd. to a view of Rattlesnake Mountain  with the Snake River in the foreground.  That view didn't inspire me but I had to stop and paint this section of the road on the way back....That's how it goes sometimes. You have to go with your gut feeling about what moves you to paint a scene. 


I was in a spot where I could effectively use a trick to gauge the value of the color of the grays I was seeing by holding up my brush with a value and color of paint on it that I though was close. I was usually fooled by my eye into gauging it lighter than it is. It's almost always darker than you think.

When I started using more techniques like this to gauge value and color my paintings became more authentic.   

No comments: