Monday, March 12, 2012

"Driftwood at Rialto Beach" La Push seascape, oil painting, by Robin Weiss

"Driftwood on Rialto Beach" 8x12 oil on panel  Sold
I was interested by the trees coming down to the oceans edge... They remind me of a scene from some fantasy movie. I can picture Sam and Frodo making their way through a forest like this, evading some unseen danger.

It was also quite an exercise in perspective drawing. Not only with line but with atmosphere. Another painter who does a great job painting distance with atmosphere is Marc Hansen. You can see his work here.

If you would like to take a trip down blogger-memory lane,  you can click here to see some sketches of a trip I made to La Push in 2008.

8x12 oil on panel. 

4 comments:

Lavon said...

Robin, love this piece. the mistie distance and bright nearness. just wonderful!

Robin Weiss said...

Thank you Lavon! I'm working on atmospheric distances with these studies....It's tricky!

ToshiE said...

Reminds me the beach scene you-then-Ned painted in fall 2010 in the WS. I like this because it has your style, not Ned's.

Robin Weiss said...

I appreciate that Toshie!